Skip to main content

Spring Smiles

Hello,

Spring really has sprung and the sun is shining as I sit and write this in my garden. But the sun isn't the only thing thats put a smile on my face the last week or so...

Outside the BBC
Last weekend I jumped on a train to London for a long weekend. Going to London always gives me a buzz with the promise of spontaneity and fun filled times. The initial reason for this impromptu visit to the big smoke was a workshop on Saturday morning at the BBC called 'Get in' designed to enlighten people like myself who are interested in a job in the media about the career/training opportunities available within the BBC. Just being in the BBC New Broadcasting house in central London filled me with awe, the BBC is an establishment that has always been a part of my life, from growing up watching CBBC as a child to listening to BBC Radio 1 as a young adult and watching shows like The Great British Bake Off which captivated not just baking enthusiasts but an entire nation. So to be in the building that that content is produced in seemed rather monumental. I was both excited and nervous about attending the event but I needn't have been as it was great fun and I left feeling more enthusiastic and determined to apply for the schemes they have on offer for young people like myself. 
I then had the pleasure of meeting up with my good friend Sharon for lunch, Sharon also has CF and has had a double lung transplant. We had lovely food in a quaint Parisian themed cafe where we caught up on the last 8 months of life that had passed since our last meet up! Having friends who have been through similar experiences to myself are important as we have similar outlooks on life which are different to the average person and therefore can help each other and offer advice where others can't.

Me, Bec and Becky enjoying cocktails
After a wander along oxford streets shops I met up with the wonderful Becky and Bec who I met when I had my Transplant as they were both on the team of film crew who filmed the 'Gift of Life' Documentary. Spending so much time with them during transplant both with and without cameras led to a very special and lasting friendship. It was the first time we had been able to coordinate a meet up that we could all attend which meant it was a cause for celebration and no celebration is complete without bubbles! We started in soho with a bottle of process before heading for dinner which included more bubbles in the form of champagne and ended with cocktails and ice cream! It was an evening full of laughter and held an element of poignance as it highlighted just how far I had come since my transplant! The evening ended giggling and dancing to a busker playing 'Ain't no mountain high enough' in the underground tunnels that led the tube. 

I got the tube to Martins house, one of my favourite people in the world and someone I am lucky to enough to call a best friend. We drank tea and chatted until the early hours of the morning putting the world to rights before finally falling asleep. Next morning we headed out for brunch to a lovely cafe in Ealing, being the food lovers we are we both had 2 courses and didn't regret a thing! The rest of the day was spent road tripping with the windows open, sun streaming in and music blaring and a random trip to IKEA. 

The cutest Sunday brunch spot
Delicious pancakes!











On Monday I finally got to meet the lovely Josie who I have chatted to online for years but until now hadn't had the opportunity to meet as like myself Josie has CF and had a double lung transplant just 8 months ago. We met for brunch in Clapham at 11.30am, it was like seeing an old friend, it didn't feel like the first time we'd met, we had so much to talk about and got on so well that time passed us by and before we knew it, it was gone 4pm and we'd been chatting for almost 5 hours! It was a lovely end to my London visit and I'm already looking forward to another lunch date together!
Josie and I

I started a new part time job on Tuesday, I was offered the opportunity to start working in a design office for a fabric printing company. I am working 3 days a week designing patterns and prints for fabrics using CAD, I have enjoyed my first week but have been met with an unforeseen issue. I have been plagued with headaches verging on migraines each day, after a few hours staring at the computer screen with such high concentration levels my eyes are starting to blur and feel like they are twitching. I've never had issues with my eyesight before or looking at a computer screen although this is the first time in my life I have required using a computer for such a prolonged period. I have booked myself in for an eye test this week and am hoping that will give me answers as to why I am suffering with the headaches and vision issues. 

Saturdays smiles were a result of doing some mobile hairdressing, a friend of my mums had had her hair coloured very badly and was desperate for it to be put right so my mum had offered that I could do it for her. 3 hours of colour correction later she was beaming from ear to ear with the results I had achieved, saying it was the best her hair had ever looked and asking if I could do her hair forever more, making her feel so happy was really rewarding and in turn made me happy. I then spent the evening at the pub with my cousin catching up and making plans for upcoming months.

Today I am sitting in the sunshine doing some work towards my BBC application before heading to my local later to do the pub quiz. 

I just hope the sunshine is here to stay! 






Comments

  1. Hi, Holly Rosanna. I accidentally and very fortunately came across the videos by people with CF, and am now following your lovely and interesting blog.
    About your headaches, hopefully you'll find that it's just a matter of getting some computer/reading glasses. I remember having horrendous headaches when I was going to school and having to read 100 pages every night. I didn't know I needed glasses, but after I got them, the headaches went away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New beginnings...

Hello, it's been a while, 18 months or there about since I last posted to this blog.

I don't have any singular reason for the long break there were numerous reasons. I wanted to reclaim some privacy that I felt I had lost through blogging so openly and regularly about my life, I also got caught up in the busy nature of adult life and I never seemed to get the same opportunities to sit and write a blog, if I blog I want to do it properly, not a half hearted attempt. But none of that matters now  because I'm back, with fresh eyes and new ideas on what I want this blog to be, both for myself and you guys reading.

First of all I would like to reassure the many people that have followed my story for the last 6 years that I am alive and well. I am now 2 years, 1 and a half months post transplant which is a fact that boggles my mind, I still have to regularly pinch myself to check it is true and not a figment of my imagination! I still have to attend hospital appointments to moni…

Sleeping beauty, or not!

After being re-ventilated on the Saturday morning 28th February, the doctors had a meeting with my parents explaining the seriousness of my situation and even suggested to them to call my brother who was working on a ski season in Austria and tell him to get the first flight to newcastle because of the high chance I wasn't going to survive. They were told my lungs were completely infected with pseudomonas along with a secondary infection of pneumonia and on top of that I had septicaemia. My X-ray showed my lungs were a total white out, my feet and hands were purple and frozen to the touch, my mum said I was like a corpse. Along with my struggling lungs my heart was at full stretch, I had now had a dangerously hight heart rate of over 170bpm for over 24hours. My mum, dad and sister took it in turns to be by my bedside constantly, holding my hand and talking to me, willing me to get better.
By Sunday morning 1st March, things had took a turn for the worst, my heart rate was still ex…